Welfare Reform Update

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Do you need help with your rent or Council Tax?

If you are having difficulty paying your rent or Council Tax you may be able to claim extra help. This is called a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) for rent and Discretionary Council Tax Reduction (DCTRS) for Council Tax.

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are receiving Housing Benefit. You do not need to receive Council Tax Reduction to apply for a discretionary Council Tax payment.

DHP can help you if your rent is more than your Housing Benefit.

Need help moving home?

You may be able to get a lump sum Discretionary Housing Payment.

If your move is essential, for example if you need to move home to reduce your outgoings, take up an offer of employment or because you are at risk of being made homeless, a Discretionary Housing Payment may be able to help with:

·         A deposit  

·         Other lump sum costs associated with a housing need such as removal costs.

·         Rent in advance, in some cases

Need help for an emergency

If you have an emergency or a problem with your benefit payments and need help with essential items such as food, you may be able to get a Local Welfare Provision grant. 

Grants are limited to a maximum of 1 in 6 months and are normally goods or services, not cash.


For more information on DHP go to http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/dhp

For more information on DCTRS go to http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/dctrs

For more information on LWP go to http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/lwp

Telephone 01908 253040

Or visit the Civic Office


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *