The deadline date to call an election by ten (10) electors of the Parish is Monday 7th April 2014
If an election is not called than the Parish Council can co-opt at its next meeting.
Who can be a Candidate? – To be eligible to stand as a candidate at a Parish election you must be:
- At least 18 on the day you hand in your nomination paper and
- A British citizen, or a citizen of the Irish Republic, the Commonwealth or another member state of the European Union,
and must meet at least one of the following criteria: –
- are registered as a local government elector for the parish, or
- have during the whole of the twelve (12) months preceding the date of the nomination, occupied as owner or tenant, the land or premises in the Parish, or
- your principal or only place of work during those 12 months has been in that Parish, or
- have during the whole of the twelve (12) months resided in that Parish or within 4.8 kilometres (3 miles) of it.
Who can’t be a Candidate? – Certain people are disqualified from being elected to a local authority. These include people who are employed by the local authority, or who have been subject of a bankruptcy restriction, or have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three (3) months or more (including suspended sentences) without the option of a fine, during the five years before election day.
For further details please contact the Parish Clerk Brian Barton on 07779261364 or by email: parish.clerk@loughton&greatholm-pc.gov.uk