Milton Keynes residents are being urged to play their part in the redevelopment and modernisation of the Milton Keynes Bowl site and surrounding areas into a major leisure/recreation/sporting facility.
The council this week (June 24) launched a borough-wide consultation on its draft Development Brief on the Bowl, the adjacent Elfield Park and other surrounding areas.
The Bowl was one of the key sites which passed to Milton Keynes Council from the Homes and Communities Agency.
The draft Development Brief outlines five* options for the future use of the area, in line with current council policy which requires the site to be developed for sporting and leisure uses.
Planning permission for a new HQ for Badminton England has already been granted on part of the site, which is currently the east car park.
Other options include incorporation of the MK Dons Academy, an international team base facility to serve – for example – the Rugby World Cup in 2015, but also with options for alternative leisure and sporting uses, as well as an option including retaining the Bowl as a concert venue.
The Development Brief requires all five options to include The Badminton project, as well as safeguarding some form of cycling facility on (or off) site. (The existing cycling circuit is protected under existing policy)
Consultation on the Development Brief will run for a six-week period from 24 June until 5 August and any comments need to be received by 5pm on 5 August. All comments should be sent to email@example.com or posted to Urban Design and Landscape Architecture, Milton Keynes Council PO Box 113, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ . A copy of the full draft Development Brief can be found at www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/udla
The options which views are being sought on include:
- Option 1 – The Badminton Project, MK Cycling, an international ‘team base’ facility, MK Dons First Team Training and Academy and occasional concerts/events
- Option 2 – The Badminton Project, an international ‘team base’ facility, MK Dons First Team and Training Academy and occasional concerts/events
- Option 3 – The Badminton Project, MK Cycling and occasional concerts/events
- Option 4 – Major concerts and events as well as the Badminton Project
- Option 5 – With the exception of the Badminton Project on the east car park which must be included, any proposals within the permissible policy will be allowed